The past couple weeks have had some really difficult days, but at the same time, I'm starting to see that God is doing something really cool. I'm beginning to experience this weird sort of peaceful-acceptance-attitude in regards to my health. Don't get me wrong, I still hate what I'm going through; but I'm learning that God is doing a heart-healing in the midst of the physical sickness. Things I was once afraid of, I'm having to face head-on. There are things in our hearts and lives that can only be brought out by pain.
Several days ago, I spoke with a very wise and very close friend on the phone about what's been happening in life. She imparted some really profound words to me: "God cares more about healing the heart than he does about healing the body." At first, I thought, "I know, but that sucks."
But tonight I realized, "That is amazing! God cares so much more about the heart, because the heart is eternal." This body will pass away, but my heart belongs to the King. I hope He heals my body, but I'm so much more grateful that He's working on my heart.
Lately I've been reading Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard. It's an incredible allegory that addresses the big "why" of suffering. It has been so encouraging to me during this season of so many sorrows and questions, so I thought I'd share a quote from the book:
"...Love and Pain go together, for a time at least. If you would know Love, you must know pain too."
I watch a ton of Netflix, and one of my favorite shows is Parenthood. To me, it shows real life so well: the joys, trials, failures, and triumphs. Some of my favorite moments of the show are when the characters go through pain. It's not because I enjoy watching someone suffer, but it's that pain brings out the most beauty and depth of love in the plot line of these characters' lives.
What if it's the same for us?
James 1:2-4 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
You have such an amazing network of people who love you and are such examples of Christ's love! What a neat insight from your friend! That is so true! Love you, keep up the fight!
ReplyDelete